Books and DVDs


Gold Sponsors

Ask Dr. Dave

Jan from South Carolina, writes:

Dear Dr. Dave,

I trail ride and camp. We live in the South which has high heat and humidity. I see horses tying up and colicing right and left. I want to know if you can recommend preventive electrolytes that I can give in advance to prevent this from happening to us. I keep our horse in shape and ready to ride, but you just never know.
Thank you!!

Dear Jan,

Hello Jan,

Thank you for your great and very important question regarding electrolyte replacement. However, I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you as throughout my veterinary career, I have never had to deal with this problem as we live in a high temperature, low humidity area of the country.

I do feel electrolyte replacement is very important to those horses who are susceptible to this problem. Most "over the counter" electrolyte supplements usually contain a 50:50 mixture of normal table salt (sodium chloride) and lyte salt (potassium chloride.) I would encourage you to consult with your local veterinarian for feeding instructions.

Thank you again for your great question. I am sorry I am not able to help you as much as I would like.

Let'em sweat! Happy trails...

Dr. Dave